Christmas Is In The Air!!
Have you ever wanted to choose your very own Christmas tree fresh from a tree farm? The experience can be a fun time for the whole family...who doesn't love hayrides and hot chocolate! Head just a couple hours West to the High Country of North Carolina, "America's Christmas Tree Capital," to find the perfect tree to adorn your home this season. It's easy to make a great weekend out of it with so many wonderful mountain towns to stay, play, shop and dine in! Many families visit the same farm year after year, establishing a cherished family tradition.
Did You Know?
* North Carolina ranks second in the USA in live Christmas tree production.
* Ashe County, "The Coolest Corner" of NC, is the largest Christmas tree producing county in the United States.
* The average eight-foot Christmas tree is 10-12 years old.
* Ashe County has sent more Christmas trees (7) to the White House than any other county in the United States.
* By planting Christmas tree seedlings every year, farmers are helping to decrease the carbon footprint of their farms. Living Christmas trees will absorb and retain carbon from the atmosphere and utilize it for photosynthesis, producing sugars and carbohydrates for the trees to live off of.
* Christmas tree farms provide shelter, food, and habitat for a diverse array of wildlife, including bears, deer, groundhogs, squirrels, turkey, quail, songbirds, insects, and microorganisms in the soil.
Planning Your Trip
There are many "Choose and Cut" farms in Ashe, Avery, Alleghany and Watauga counties. For a complete list, visit https://ncchristmastrees.com/
**Due to COVID, not all farms have the extras such as hayrides this year. Be sure to call ahead ask about their specific restrictions for 2020.
With so many things to see and do in the High Country, why not make a whole trip of it! From skiing and snow tubing, hiking and horseback riding, to the Blowing Rock, to Tweetsie Railroad...the possibilities are endless! Visit https://ashechamber.com/ and https://www.exploreboone.com/ for more information.